Thursday, February 5, 2015

Quiet Reflections on universal Healthcare

I depart from the sort of writing I have been doing lately, even from the style that I have adopted because I feel obliged to do so ... whether or not the effort I am about to undertake will bear fruit. It is that I am going to be away for a period of time that ranges somewhere between a few weeks and a longer duration depending on several factors … but that's not the story. The real story is that the system of universal healthcare we have here in Canada is one that no person on this planet should be without … and I have good reasons for saying so.

I have always tried to avoid talking about myself or the family, but I must say a few things now to illustrate the points I am trying to make. There was a time when a man working alone could support a family of seven, paying to send five children to private schools from kindergarten to college, including private tutoring when needed, and the flying lessons for the one that grew up and became a pilot. I must say, however, that I broke from tradition and chose to go to public school for one year just to see what it's like to be in a public school in Egypt.

And you know what, my friend, none of that would have happened if one of us was stricken by a catastrophic illness. Life as we lived it would have been different if the illness that I caught more than 65 years ago had developed into something more serious than it turned out to be. I caught malaria as a toddler, and the symptoms kept returning three years in a row at Christmas time before they vanished for good. Now a septuagenarian, something happened just before Christmas that caused me to spend the holiday in hospital. It is the kind of catastrophic illness that would have ruined the family had it happened long ago, had it not been in Canada where there is universal healthcare.

I knew I had a problem a few months ago when I was running out of energy, and was getting short of breath when making even a small physical effort. Seeing my cardiologist once a year, I waited for the day of the appointment to tell him of my condition. He thought that ten years after my quadruple bypass, a blockage could have developed, and that I may need a stent. He ordered a series of preliminary tests before going for the more definitive angiogram.

That in itself would not have been catastrophic except for the fact that the preliminary tests indicated the presence of pulmonary fibrosis. I will have to undergo a biopsy on both lungs to determine exactly what that is before a remedy can be prescribed. And then, something worse happened just a few days later. I lost as much as half a liter of blood to the toilet bowl. I went to the hospital where they checked the stomach and found nothing wrong there. They checked the colon where they discovered a growth, later confirmed to be cancer.

That's when all the other tests were put on hold till I undergo the cancer operation which will see half of my colon taken out. A determination will have to be made after that as to whether I should first go for the lung biopsy or the angiogram. Treatment for either or for both will follow, something that will require months of care at a cost that would have broken the budget of any middle class family.

This is why it baffles me that a country like America – having the potential for giving its people the kind of peace of mind I am enjoying at this time as I go into this thing – and not giving it. Even as a child, I could sense the anxiety that the adults around me felt every time my situation worsened. Would my mother have to go to work? Would we have to go to public schools? We had a car in the 1940s called Ballila, and then a Vauxhall later on; we also had bicycles and scooters. Would we have to sell all these and learn to live without them?

I can imagine the anxiety that people in America feel every time someone in the family falls ill. And why does this happen? There is only one explanation; it is that some people believe in the dogma which says it is okay to make money off people in dire need of something. And there is nothing more dire than seeing a member of the family getting worse and moving closer to death. Universal healthcare will do away with that, replacing it with the peace of mind that will rob the rapacious of the leverage they have to suck the blood of the desperate before ordering the blood work that will indicate what remedy they require.

Capitalism ceases to be capitalism when it relies on the exploitation of those it can compel to make it rich. This is where America stands today, and this is how it lost its capitalistic edge to newcomers who understand capitalism as well as did the old American generations, and better than does the new one.

I'll see you here again at some point in the future.