Friday, June 22, 2012

When A Solitude Hungers To Lead


In writing these words I violate one of my principles which is not to respond to someone when, in apparent response to something I wrote, run and hide behind a third person. Usually this would be a hyphenated person, almost always the skirt of a woman, but sometimes a male with opinions that differ from mine. It is that when I engage someone, I take direct aim at what they say and tackle it; thus prefer to be treated the same way. But I make an exception this time because I see in Clifford May's article: “The Trouble with Multiculturalism” an opportunity to finally express many ideas I accumulated over the decades and did not have the occasion to express. May's article has the subtitle: “Freedom is the distinguishing feature of Western culture,” and was published on June 21, 2012 in National Review Online (NRO).

Clifford May is hiding behind Salim Mansur, a professor here in Canada who is of Muslim East Indian origin. He wrote a book repudiating multiculturalism I never heard of before. In fact, I never heard of Mansur either but because NRO carries his picture above the article, I remember seeing this face once on television for no more than five seconds. To explain what happened, I must divulge that the cable service to which I am subscribed has between channels 500 and 510 most of the stations that I like to surf. When I do the surfing, I stop at whatever sounds interesting. There is one channel that is never interesting because it is the Canadian pale imitation of the almost always laughable News Fox of America. The way I see things: If you have access to big comedy why bother with amateur comedians?

And so it was during one of these surfs that I saw Mansur for a few seconds. I do not know what he was discussing and I cannot say he made an impression on me one way or the other. But I am not here to discuss a book I did not read or an author I know nothing about. However, I know something about Clifford May, and I have his latest article about which I have a few things to say.

Unlike May who had his first encounter with multiculturalism when someone from the Anti-Defamation League paid a visit to his newspaper, I had my first encounter with multiculturalism in 1964, the day our family landed in Canada. Not one of us; not for a fleeting moment did we entertain the thought of asking where we could find a ghetto, a center, a club or any place where we could meet other Egyptians or Arabs. As far as we were concerned, we came here to be Canadians not to continue being what we left behind. Eventually, I did encounter other Egyptians and other Arabs of the Christian or Muslim faiths at work and in other places. What delighted me was the fact that all these people were scattered throughout the city because they too had come to this country with ideas similar to those of our family.

And then, bit by bit, I learned a few things about Canada that culminated after nearly half a century in me preferring to watch Fox News (which I do not like much) rather than watch its Canadian imitation which bores me to death after five seconds. In fact, I was shocked early on by the Canadian never-ending desire to imitate someone else. This happened when I saw the “long established Canadians” do what the Americans do which was to call on the newcomers to embrace the Canadian way of life then do something baffling. Whereas the Americans welcomed the transformation of the newcomer, the Canadians dissolved into a puddle of insecurities the moment that a hyphenated someone came close to doing something the way they did it. Time after time, I saw them talk the talk but when it came to the walk, they melted like Snowman on a hot Summer day.

Eventually, the inclination to imitate overcame the fear to compete and papered over the insecurities of the long established Canadians who opened the door just a little for the writers and the artists of other cultures to get in and experiment with melting the Canadian Mosaic into what may become an American style Melting Pot. Already you can see that what used to be the “Two Solitudes” of a French Canada separate from an English Canada melting into a blend of Celine Dion quality recognized the world over for being excellent, and not for being of this Canadian solitude or that one.

But the mentality which views the country as being a “Community of Communities” is still with us. When push comes to shove, the established ones go on the offensive as if they were facing an existential threat, and so they reactivate the old habit of tripping the other guy. This is what happened when I started a small newspaper and began to receive advertising from the provincial government. I was told point blank that even though the paper was strictly in English, and that I only dealt with local issues, I shall be pushed out unless I identify my paper as being an ethnic publication. This meant I shall be tolerated as a piece of the Mosaic but not as a melted component of the pot. And you know who led the charge against me? They were the Toronto Star and the Globe and Mail, the two largest newspapers in Canada.

In the process of pushing me out, they committed crimes I reported to the municipal, provincial and federal police forces. Only the municipal police agreed to look into the matter. The investigator who worked on the case was on my side all the way but was overruled by a higher authority, and so they did nothing. When I went to the clerk at the station and asked her for the report, she asked what I wanted it for and I made the mistake of telling her I intended to sue. She said she could not give me the report just now but that I should check with her in two weeks. I did so and she gave me a report that had only one sentence on it; something to the effect that nothing serious happened. Disappointed, I was not surprised because I had been here long enough to know that Canada is like the forest you view from ten miles up. It looks peaceful and quiet till you land and see how savagely the animals and the insects devour each other.

Thus, as far as I am concerned, the key to understanding Canada is to understand the Canadian character of feeling insecure combined with the desire to imitate someone else and the hunger to look perfect. We developed this last trait because we sought at one time to be loved by those in the British Commonwealth who ceased to love Britain. But now, we wish to lead the nations where people are developing distaste for the American way of doing things. No doubt we shall deviate from that mentality someday, and the world will know about it the day we decide to rule ourselves. As of now, however, even though the British monarchy wants to get rid of us having once competed against it, we still cling to the idea of being ruled by it because we do not trust each other and cannot bear the though of one of us ruling over us. This is the nature of our freedom, and the essence of our democracy. Lovely, are they not?

Let me tell why I reject off hand something that Clifford May says Mansur wrote and he totally agrees with. He says Mansur wrote the following: “freedom is the distinguishing feature of the West.” Well, you know now I probably define freedom differently. But then May adds his own comment which is this: “a core value that came under ferocious attack in the 20th century from fascism and Communism.” But fascism and Communism are also Western values according to their own definition of the West. And this makes me wonder why these people still believe the Western culture is superior to any other. Until they resolve this contradiction, nothing they say will make sense to me.

Now let me say something about scientific thought. The people who built the pyramids and the monuments before them must have had the ability to think as rationally as anything that Galileo or Descartes could have thrown at them. In fact, if you study ancient Egyptian mathematics, you find that they knew about the relationship between the circumference of a circle and its diameter, they knew about the Pythagorean theorem before Pythagoras and they had a solution to the quadratic equation. And if you study the phlogiston theory, you will know that the Arabs and the Muslims pioneered the modern scientific research when Europe was still in the dark age. In fact, when the Jews took the Arab scientific discoveries to Europe, the Christians called it black magic and burned the Jews alive. What a lovely demonstration of democratic freedom it must have been! You want to see these days return, Cliff?

Let me tell you something, all of you dogmatic demagogues out there. Art, philosophy, science and all the rest began tens of thousands of years ago the moment that our species started to think. Every time one group of people took something to its conclusion, these people thought they had reached the ultimate nirvana thus rejected anything that upset the existing order. But things keep changing and someone else always comes up with something better and carries the ball of civilization a little further. For example, in modern times, Japan embraced the “Western” ways of doing things while the Chinese rejected it. Japan advanced and so the Chinese rushed to embrace the Western ways as a result of which they are doing better now. As well, the world continues to change while the “West” seems to fall behind. Who knows what will happen next!

You guys can come up with all sorts of examples about some little nobody who says precious little nothing about a subject that does not merit mention, and you can do big write ups all you want to convince the uninformed that the world is about to be run over by a handful of kids who discovered it is more fun to play cops and robbers with Uncle Sam than to play with a local police force, and you will accomplish nothing but pollute the marketplace of ideas with useless noise that will be forgotten as soon as it is digested.

You are wasting your time, suckers.