Friday, March 1, 2024

Missed opportunities in Brian Mulroney’s saga

 I begin by alerting the readers to the reality that given my age and physical condition, my memory to retain names is no longer what it was, and my ability to put events in their proper chronological order is also suffering. What remains vivid in my memory are the incidents that made a strong impression on me at the time that they occurred.

 

Here is the saga of my give-and-take with former Prime Minister of Canada Brian Mulroney who passed away yesterday leaving behind a legacy that historians will see as being honorable given what he accomplished for the country that elected him to serve. But when it came to handling my case and doing me justice, the saga shows a number of gaps.

 

It all began when the talk about the secession of Quebec from Canada was growing louder in the English speaking community embedded in the French Canadian Province of Quebec. Before you know it, a full blown movement by the French separatists of the Province had risen, and was successfully pushing forward their agenda.

 

Despite being let down by Mulroney on two previous occasions with regard to the subject of my persecution at the hands of the Canadian Jewish Congress and the RCMP, I wrote a letter to then Prime Minister Brian Mulroney supporting his position on the referendum for separation that was proposed for Quebec.

 

Letting me down happened once when my member of Parliament was Speaker of the House of Commons. He tried to help me but Mulroney forced him to resign. And it happened a second time when the President of the Unted States, Ronald Reagan pressured Mulroney to resolve my case, and Mulrooney verbally attacked on the floor of the House.

 

Still, to my surprise, Mulroney wrote me a personal letter asking that I get involved in the ensuing debate. I did just that in the hope that it will nudge him to work on my case; one that had seen me tortured for several decades already. Little did I know then that my action will trigger a series of happenings showing moments of great triumph but also moments of great disappointment.

 

The greatest moment of disappointment came to my attention when my writing supporting the Mulroney position, was not going to help solve my problem. This happened when everybody was hanging on to every word I wrote, yet a member of the British Columbia Legislature who wanted to see me take full part in the debate, complained that they were negotiating with a ghost. This meant that Mulroney was going to maintain the demonic wall of silence.

 

As to the greatest moment of triumph, it came when I solved a pernicious misunderstanding that was threatening to sink the Mulroney position. Here is the reality:

 

In French, there are the two words, “distinct and distingué.” In English there are the two words, “distinct and distinguished.” The first word, “distinct” has the same meaning in both languages. There can be no confusion there. As to the second word, it means something different in each language. And so, when the separatists were demanding that the English recognize Quebec as having a “distinct” culture that must be taken into account, the English cried bloody murder, believing that the French wanted to make themselves “distinguished” over the English.

 

When I explained all that, reassuring the English that the French were not vying for supremacy, the temperature was lowered dramatically, and the debate proceeded normally. It is that a great deal had been lost in the translation, and I was the one to repair the damage that ensued.

 

Even people as honorable as Brian Mulroney fear the power of the police state they are called upon to govern.