Saturday, May 5, 2012

Between The Incitement And The Act


I have been reminded by a number of correspondents that the Likud Party was not asked to form the government in Israel until February of 2009 which means that Benjamin Netanyahu could not have ordered the attack on Gaza that came at the end of 2008. And yet, I said in my last posting that Netanyahu was the one who ordered the attack on Gaza that killed 1,300 Palestinians. Moreover, I failed to mention that the acting Prime Minister at the time was Tzipi Livni who had replaced Ehud Olmert at the helm of the Kadima Party.

All this is true when you look at it from the point of view of histrionics which I should have given weight to and considered in my presentation. But I neglected to do this because I was geared to the theatrics of the whole event more than the sequence of its parts. The way my thought process was geared at the time was that I concentrated on the ceasefire that was brokered by Egypt between Hamas and Israel earlier in 2008. It was accepted by Kadima but rejected by Netanyahu who was in opposition and had, in fact, refused to join the coalition government of Ms. Livni. He attacked the ceasefire vehemently in the Knesset, and to my mind, this was the incitement that led to the shooting war that came about later in the year.

Thus, to my mind, even though Benjamin Netanyahu may not have been legally responsible for the crime, he was behind it wholeheartedly thus morally responsible for it as much as anyone else. I understand that there is a warrant to arrest Ms. Livni in England for what happened during that war, but I believe that a few other people must also be given the same treatment. I should have thought of this while writing the article, and should have clarified what I meant. But I did not have the presence of mind to do so then and I recognize my failing.

I thank those who reminded me of these facts, and I hope that everyone else will forgive me for the confusion I created.