Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Commissioner Who Talks Like a Cop

Judging by the article he wrote for the Wall Street Journal, it is obvious that New York police commissioner, Ray Kelly does not have a PhD in philosophy or in writing articles that sound coherent. He certainly talks like a cop, and he may be a good one – something I am not equipped to assess. And so, while I am happy to let others judge him as to his competence with regard to the position he holds, there are a few things I wish to contribute to the debate he just launched.

The article he wrote was published on July 23, 2013 under the title: “The NYPD: Guilty of Saving 7,383 Lives” and the subtitle: “Accusations of racial profiling ignore the fact that violent crime overwhelmingly occurs in minority neighborhoods.” What is jarring about the subtitle is that the author complains about “accusations” being leveled with regard to acts of racial profiling he admits the NYPD committed for the good reason that violent crime occurs in “minority neighborhoods.” Hey, Mr. Kelly, if someone points out that you're doing something you say is a good thing, this is not an accusation. It is the truth, and you are defending it, which you have every right to do. What you cannot do, however, is call an accusation what you admit is true. The rule of thumb is that if it is true, it cannot be an accusation; it is a statement of the truth.

Speaking mainly about “young men of color,” the commissioner says that his department has engaged in “proactive” policing strategies without telling what exactly proactive means to a cop. He then complains about the critics who “allege that massive numbers of minorities are stopped and questioned by police.” To make his point, he quotes numbers that, in reality, tell a disconcerting story. He says that in a city of 8.5 million people, each of his 19,600 officers stops about 50 persons a year. That's a total of 980,000 stops each and every year. So I ask how many young men of color live in a city of that size. I estimate no more than two million. Doing the math, this says that one in two are stopped and questioned every year. It also means that virtually all of these young men are stopped once every two years. That would be massive alright.

Once again, the author makes an error of logic comparable to the one he made in the subtitle. Here it is: “Racial profiling is a disingenuous charge at best and an incendiary one at worst.” But is he going to deny it? No. On the contrary, he defends it on the grounds that it has “rock-solid legal and constitutional foundation underpinning [it].” He also expresses understanding towards the people who did nothing wrong being upset when they are stopped and searched.

What Ray Kelly says after that is what comes close to home. Here is how he starts that part of the presentation: “In a similar vein, our detractors contend that the NYPD engages in widespread, unwarranted spying on Muslim New Yorkers. Again, this is a sensational charge belied by the facts.” Well, I am not a Muslim anymore than I am a New Yorker or a Black or a Hispanic. I am a typical male of Egyptian origin who happens to be “twice” a Christian, having been baptized as a Copt and a Catholic. I have a story to tell; a horror story that lasted 45 years. I get so upset the moment that I start telling it, I am forced to drop it quickly and move on to something else. Bits and pieces of it are told in a few places throughout this website, and I do not wish to add anymore to that except what is absolutely necessary to make the point I set out to contribute to this debate.

To make that point as succinctly as I can, I must now reveal something I did not know before launching this website. Up to now I had only known about the people I met, and the events I witnessed since the day in 1968 when the Toronto Star published my letter to the editor under the title “Don't listen to propaganda, Egypt is a civilized country” after which the Canadian Jewish Congress sent someone to warn me that I should never again contact the media, or else.”

I did not heed that warning but went on doing what I wanted to do. In the process, I mingled with Jews, became friends with some and did antagonize a few others. I was also approached by Jewish organizations, some of which coaxed me to do one thing or another, promised me this or that, enticed me with this offer or that one, warned me of this consequence or that outcome – but nothing that I could not shrug off and forget about.

And then after the launch of the website, I began to receive information as to what was being done behind my back relentlessly and throughout the decades to “get rid of me” or at least maintain me on the blacklist. The most horrifying story to chill the spine was that of the Jews who came this close to convincing a provincial Minister to have me arrested and thrown in jail. The reason why it did not happen is that they could not think of an entrapment scheme I would bite into or a legal excuse they could use to harm me.

I am certain that the same sort of thing must be happening in America today, and there must be many people of Arab descent that the Jewish organizations are working hard to destroy simply because the Arabs are telling the public: Don't listen to propaganda; the Jewish organizations are Hell itself operating here on Earth.