Monday, April 7, 2014

American Style Rule of Farcical Law

At some point in my life when I was a small child, I was so curious about the things that adults were saying to each other, I preferred to sit with them or near them than play with the other children. The trouble was that I did not know people spoke in metaphors at times, and so I took everything they said literally.

One day, the adults were having a discussion about a subject, whose details escape me now, remembering only that it had to do with the sense of justice that someone – most likely the Italians or the British – brought to Ethiopia or maybe to the entire continent of Africa. A scary part of the story that someone was telling stuck in mind for a long time, and made me wish for the wrong thing till I realized the story was a metaphor.

Apparently, the adult was scoffing at the sense of justice that the ”foreigners” were enforcing and so, he told the story of the hanging scaffold they erected only to discover that the man they were supposed to hang was too tall for it. They went to the foreigner in charge and told him what happened, so he said without a moment of hesitation: no problem, go find someone that will fit the scaffold and hang him instead. What can be more convenient than that?

For a long time after that, I wished I would grow so tall I'll never fit any hanging scaffold because I knew I could never do anything so bad that I should merit hanging, except that I ran that risk if I remained small. And so I lived a few more years in sub-Saharan Africa then lived a few more years in Egypt then came to Canada where I heard day in and day out that this was a liberal democracy where – unlike some other places in the world – the rule of law applied and was strictly enforced.

Well, setting aside what I have seen in the courtrooms of this continent over the past half century, I wish to discuss what America is doing to the world at large when it comes to the “rule of law.” Even then, I set aside three cases I discussed previously, and they are (1) the repeal of the finding that Zionism was a form of racism, (2) the savage pressure that was brought on the lead judge to water down an earlier finding to the effect that Israel committed war crimes in Gaza and (3) The Spanish clown they appointed to investigate Israel's terror attack on a Turkish ship taking relief supplies to Gaza.

Already, these cases will tell a bad story about America's inability to police its ranks and protect itself and others from the agents of World Jewry who were able to use America's own instruments of power and influence to change the course of justice or reverse it where it was rendered against Israel and in favor of someone else. But the medal of shame that will hang around America's neck for all eternity will be the case of Palestine where America has intervened by hook and by crook on several occasions to keep it away from the court of law.

So here we have an America proclaiming itself to be the champion of the rule of law threatening the Palestinians of severe consequences if they take their case to the legal body that is the United Nations after which they will be eligible to go to the International Criminal Court and have their case adjudicated there.

No, says America to the Palestinians, the way to have your case adjudicated is to sit with the Israelis whom we shall keep armed to the teeth while we keep you totally disarmed. You hear what they will dictate to you, and you either accept or you remain under occupation while Jewish misfits from America settle in the lands and the properties they steal from you like they have been doing for nearly half a century. This is justice administered in the Jewish American style. It is also a take it or leave it proposition.

As a child I made the mistake of not knowing the difference between reality and a metaphor. But I grew up to know that the world of grownups was more complicated than the ear of a child can discern. I then came to live in this so-called liberal democracy where I was told reality is strictly implemented as advertised without deviation for any reason at all. I believed this to be the case for many decades not because I was convinced it were true but because I so badly wished it were, I fooled myself into believing it was.

But I cannot fool myself anymore; these people are still foreign to me in the way that they think and behave. The man I heard speak in Africa was not telling a metaphor; he was telling the truth. If you're not tall in this part of the world, they hang you for no reason except that it is more convenient for them.