Monday, August 1, 2016

Donald Trump, you must redeem yourself

Now they raise questions about a mother grieving for her son twelve years after his death in the war. Well, I have a story to tell in this regard. It is the kind I like to keep private, but the circumstances are so overwhelming, I can no longer keep it in the family.

I have gone by the name Fred for nearly 52 years since we came to Canada, but I was born Farid (French spelling) or Fareed (English spelling). My parents – actually my mother – named me Fareed for a reason. It is that she was pregnant with me when her younger sister died. That was my aunt whose name was Fareeda, the feminine version of Fareed.

My mother was so grief stricken; she vowed that if I turned out to be a girl, she would name me Fareeda. Well, I turned out to be a boy, so she named me Fareed. Two years later, my mother had a girl, and so, she named her Fareeda. Me and my sister are alive and doing well but getting on with age. Every time I check into a hospital, and they see that I listed Fareeda as next of kin, they assume we are twins. I say no we're not, they puzzle, I explain what happened, and they say what a beautiful and touching story.

It is touching, but there is something even more touching than that. For a period of 40 years after my birth and 38 years after the birth of my sister, my mother could call us by our names but could not pronounce the name Fareeda when talking about her sister without choking. It is that her grief over the death of her sister had never ended. Instead of Fareeda, she would call her el-Ghalia which means the dear one. My mother kept referring to her sister by that name till she died.

What surprises me is that people defending Donald Trump dare to suggest that 12 years are too long for a mother to grieve over the death of her son in the war. Where have these people been? Do they not see 80 year-old soldiers weep on Remembrance Day for the death of buddies that were killed 60 years ago? Do they not see 90 year-old soldiers weep for the death of buddies that were killed 70 years ago?

Yes, this is surprising. But what is totally incomprehensible is Donald Trump equating his own sacrifice with that of a soldier who got killed defending his country. But what sacrifice does Trump say he made? Well, it is that he created jobs, he says. Did he lose a limb or die creating jobs? Oh no; none of that happened to him. In fact, he created jobs doing what he likes best, which is pursuing his dream: that of life, liberty and happiness.

But how did Donald Trump get to be so privileged? Well, you know how it is. There are people who put their lives at risk to make the country safe for people like Trump to live a full life and pursue their dream. Yes, it is true that Trump has created jobs, but that's no sacrifice. That's a measure of his success. In fact, the more jobs he creates, the more successful he proves to be, which means the happier he must be.

In effect then, what it all boils down to is that Donald Trump is equating the death of the soldier defending him, with the success he is having in life. There sure is equivalence here, but it is an inverse relationship. It means that the happiness of Trump, who made a fortune, is equal to the sadness of the mother who lost a son. These are equal in weight, but they point in opposite directions. How can someone be so confused about this reciprocal relationship?

Trump's happiness is the gift that the dead soldier gives him every day he is alive. And yet, Trump sees fit to mock the mother that bore that soldier, nurtured him and raised him to be the fine person that chose to die to save the men under him, and to secure the happiness that Trump is enjoying so much.

The least that this heartless and awful man – Donald Trump – must do now to redeem himself is compose not a tweet, but a hand written letter inviting the parents of the dead soldier to come to the Trump Tower where they will all celebrate the life and sacrifice of a fine young man that deserves to be celebrated.