Thursday, July 26, 2012

Figures Don't Lie But Liars Do Figure


On July 26, 2012 Karl Rove published in the Wall Street Journal a piece he calls: “Obama and the Economic Blame Game” which also has the subtitle: “In a new poll, the public fingers the president.” Rove quotes a large number of figures none of which I dispute since I can neither prove nor disprove any of them. But what surprises me about the article is the fact that those numbers clash mightily with Rove's interpretation of them. In fact, as I went through the numbers, I wondered why he chose the title that he did, and why he allowed the subtitle to remain as it is.

The first thing that the author does is hit the reader with a powerful opinion: “...bad news for … Obama's attempts to blame someone … for America's economic problems.” Well, I always thought that an economy is driven by market forces. If you want to know why your economy behaves the way that it does, you identify the forces acting on it, and see if there is something you can do -- using the fiscal, monetary and other tools available to you -- to alter the composition of those forces. This said, I have not heard a thing coming out of the current administration which says that the president or anyone in it did anything but work on those forces the best way they could.

Still, Rove writes that a newspaper called the Hill released a pole which says “66% of the voters believe the weak economy is Washington's fault.” The fact that the word “voter” is used here makes you wonder who chose it in this politically charged atmosphere. Was it the newspaper or Rove? No matter; let's move on. Rove then asks this question: “And who is most to blame?” He answers: “34% said Mr. Obama. Congress was named the culprit by 23%, while 20% chose Wall Street and 18% fingered former President George W. Bush.” And so, Rove concludes that: “Mr. Obama's obsessive campaign to blame his predecessor is failing.”

Given that I never heard a thing coming out of the current administration to indicate that Mr. Obama is doing anything more than identify the forces affecting the course of the economy, I must conclude that Mr. Rove who was a big player in the previous administration is trying to whitewash the true history of the economic calamity which hit America and the world during the tenure of that administration. Thus, the only obsession I see here is that of Karl Rove and all those of his political ilk who wish to see someone take the blame for not doing enough to clean up a mess so massive, only the passage of time can clean it up. But get this, my friend -- altering time is a scientific achievement that has not yet been realized. Whether or not Obama can walk on water, the one thing he cannot do is compress time. Maybe Karl has some suggestions in this regard.

But that does not seem to interest our esteemed author because he goes on to thrust on the reader another powerful opinion before justifying it with a number. Here is the opinion: “The public … believes the buck stops with the current occupant of the Oval Office.” And here is the justification: “53% said Mr. 'Obama has taken the wrong actions and slowed the recovery down.'” Well, what the “public” is saying here is that in retrospect, the President could perhaps have done a little better despite the gravity of the situation he inherited from the Bush/Rove administration. But nobody is perfect so what the heck, we will not crucify someone; not even Karl.

But having gone through all this trouble to deny that Obama inherited a mess, the author of the article now embarks on a massive attempt to explain that the non-existent mess was Obama's fault anyway because he was a Senator in a Democratic administration when it all started. And so he admits that there was a subprime debacle which started the ball rolling and the mess to shape itself -- but that was their fault not ours, he says. Well, well! How these politicians cum journalists never cease to amaze me with the power they have to do themselves in as they try to have it both ways.

But I am not going to challenge Karl Rove on this history because I know little to nothing about it. What I know, however, is another history I would like to tell.

When I came from Quebec to resettle in Ontario toward the end of 1997, I started a business called Viago Printing and Office Supplies. While running it, I also launched a small local newspaper. Needless to say the load was heavy on me, and I relied on family and friends to help me carry it because my financial resources were limited, and I did not hire enough people to help.

Still, I could have done well but for the fact that three serious illnesses hit me one after the other, and they eventually required that I undergo three serious operations. I had to wind down the business -- which I did in 2002 without declaring bankruptcy -- having paid my creditors everything I owed them. I then sold the inventory that was left to my competitor who eventually became a friend I checked with once in a while.

I got busy doing other things and taking care of my health when one day I received a phone call from someone I did not know. It was a woman with whom I had a nice conversation, but because I did not know then what I know now, I did not ask her the details I now wish I had. What I still remember of that conversation is that she was speaking on behalf of a holding company or some such outfit that was expanding its business in the stationery and office supplies wholesale and retail sectors. She wanted to know if I would sell my business. I said I wound it down without declaring bankruptcy which is why it was still listed in a few places as an ongoing and viable business.

I was, at that time, recuperating from the first operation, and so I left the matter there and did not think much about it. There was no Office Depot in Oakville, the town where I still live but there was one in the neighboring city of Mississauga. I drove there one day only to see that Office Depot had changed its name to Staples. This is when I remembered the conversation I had with the woman who called me a few months before. It must have been these people. And so, I rushed back to talk to my friend and former competitor only to find that he had gone out of business. I asked his neighbor what happened, and he told me the man sold the business and went traveling around the globe. The new owners laid everyone off and shut down the business.

You sonafagun, I said. I remembered him telling me how much he loved traveling around the world but especially to Egypt where the ancient culture there always fascinated him. He had also told me something I dismissed at the time but now looks like a possible premonition on his part. He knew as did the whole town how much the Toronto Star was trying to put me out of business from the moment that I launched the newspaper which competed with two of their local affiliates. His advice to me was to do what other publications did in the past, which is to sell the business to them for a couple million dollars -- and I'll be set for life.

I laughed the suggestion off and did not sell the newspaper. Later, I missed the opportunity to sell the office supplies business. But my friend must have taken his own advice, sold for a good price, got out of here to go fly and sail the world. Sonafagun!

Now, almost ten years later, I wonder how many enterprises were bought by Staples, put out of business and their employees laid off. And how much money the likes of Mitt Romney made out of such practices.

Perhaps, Karl Rove could impress upon Mitt Romney to release all his tax returns. It would be fun to go through them and find out.

Maybe there too, I'll have the opportunity to exclaim sonafagun!