Monday, May 26, 2014

When the gimme Crowd loses its calling Card

Tom Rogan wrote an article under the title: “Toure, the Holocaust and Hashtagosophy” and the subtitle: “In four words he trivialized mass murder.” It was published on May 26, 2014 in National Review Online. I don't know who Toure is but the picture accompanying the article tells me I may have seen him once or twice while surfing the television channels.

I reckon he is of African descent as much as I reckon from Tom Rogan's writing that he must be Jewish. I am not going to mediate between these two gentlemen; they are capable of looking after themselves. But there is something about the Rogan article that reminds me of discussions I had with Jews that were friendly to me and others that were not so friendly. No matter which way the discussions began and what course they took, they always boiled down to a couple of related questions: What moral or financial claim do Jews who did not experience the Holocaust have over society? What moral or financial obligation does anyone that was not responsible for the Holocaust have towards the Jews?

The answers always came down to the reality that Jews who never experienced the Holocaust were owed nothing, morally or financially. As to those who were not responsible for the Holocaust, they owed nothing even to the survivors of the Holocaust, let alone to those who weren't even born then. And so, during my discussions with the Jews who thought I owed them something because they were as Jewish as those that experienced the Holocaust, they came to understand that I had every right to be contemptuous of them if they believed I owe them enough deference not to criticize them if they did what may offend me.

Thus, to have offended Canadian Jews who never experienced the Holocaust, such that I deserve to be blacklisted for life because I wrote an article titled: Don't listen to propaganda, Egypt is a civilized country – in response to a year-long barrage of insults that portrayed my countrymen as being primitive savages – gives me the right to tell the truth as I see it about the nature of Judaism. And the fact that six million Jews were exterminated at just about the time that I was born does not give a Jew the right to make a claim on me because of something that happened long ago, away from here that neither he nor I had anything to do with.

And no, I shall not visit a Holocaust memorial or a concentration camp because they mean nothing to me. In fact, the people who suffer and those who die today – be they Palestinians or human rights advocates – because the Holocaust happened to Jews long ago, concern me more than those who died then and cannot be brought back to life. If I want to learn about man's inhumanity to man, I have my own experience to study, and the experience of those who at this very moment suffer at the hands of Jews. I do not need to visit a Holocaust memorial or a concentration camp to teach me that lesson; I am the lesson in flesh and blood.

And so are the individuals who may have been passed over for a slice of the good life because of the color of their skin to accommodate a Jew whose skin might be of a different color. Toure can speak for himself in this regard, but I can say that to make reference to the fact that skin color still matters in America is not something that can be countered with an argument about the Holocaust.

The fact that Rogan has mounted the savage attack he did on Toure tells me that Norman Finklestein's argument to the effect that the Holocaust has become a business by which the Jewish leaders enrich themselves is true. Finklestein lost family during the Holocaust, and he could have joined the gimme crowd to get rich in the process but that's not what he wanted. Because his moral compass is not of the kind that guides the likes of Tom Rogan, he would have been satisfied to see a dignified yearly ceremony at which time the living would take a minute of silence to remember the dead.

Rogan, on the other hand, shows every sign that he is terrified of the possibility he may lose the privileges he has gained by virtue of the fact that he is a Jew, that Jews died long ago, and therefore he is entitled to things which people who suffer today because of the color of their skin are not entitled to. He has a calling card to the cushy life, and he does not want to lose it. He is a miserable creature that deserves only contempt.

Now you now why pogroms and holocausts are inflicted on Jews only. Blame it on their leaders.