Wednesday, November 2, 2022

The defender of democracy proven naive about it

 For greater clarity I must begin this article by telling a story about myself when I was a toddler. I remember vaguely, and for years, my family never let me forget that I used to tell fantastic stories about a place I named “Waak el-Waack,” which, apparently, I kept dreaming about.

 

I don’t know how or where it all started but I suspect that much of what I have become in terms of story telling, imagination and artistry, has its roots in those early years of my life. Waak el-Waack being a place where everything – from birds to airplanes was gigantic – I used to think of the airplanes I saw fly above me in real life as being big as those I dreamed about.

 

And then, one day my oldest brother got a job at the airport. I was in my early teens or thereabout by that time, and being curious, I asked him what it’s like to work at the airport. He obtained permission from his boss to have me spend a day with him at his place of work, and took me there. That’s when I got the shock of my life, probably the thing that ended my relationship with Waak el-Waack.

 

What stupefied me was the reality that when seen on the ground, the gigantic airplanes of my imagination were dwarfed when compared to the real planes that looked tiny when seen flying in the sky. Mind you, these were the DC-3s, the Junkers and the Constellations of their time, midgets compared to the modern jumbos. In any case, this must have been the first time in my life when reality trumped the imagination.

 

The same thing should be happening to Clifford D. May who imagines himself the Don Quixote defender of the democracies, when in reality – as just proven – he “knows nossing about za damacracy of za Shamir,” to quote the notorious Jewish terrorists whose public lecture to the American Congress of know-nothing, caused that “deliberative” body to rubber stamp all acts commanded by Israel, charging America with trillions of wasted dollars, and millions of dead bodies everywhere the superpower went.

 

You will get a sense of all that and more when you read the column that came under the title: “Left is having second — and third — thoughts on Putin’s Ukraine war.” It was written by Clifford D. May, and  published on November 1, 2022 in the Washington Times.

 

Clifford May is telling a story which – on the surface – seems to be a series of observations and analyses pertaining to the current situation as he sees it. But in reality, the story tells much about May’s emotional state and that of his mind. In the same way that, as a teenager, I was stupefied when I saw that reality had trumped the imagination, Clifford May was stupefied when he saw that the brand of democracy practiced by the Democratic Party of America, trumps anything and everything he imagined were the qualities he undertook to defend in the fake democracies of his imagination.

 

Clifford May proceeded to describe the situation as it unfolded. It went as follows:

 

“The Congressional Progressive Caucus (CPC) is the club for far-left House members. On Oct. 24, its chair sent the White House a letter signed by 30 colleagues. The subject was Putin’s war against Ukraine. It urged Biden to engage in direct talks with Russia in support of a negotiated settlement. Less than 24 hours later, the CPC withdrew the letter. It said that the letter was drafted several months ago, but was released by staff without vetting. May I fill you in on the rest of the story?”

 

And that is where the writer unwittingly exposed his absolute lack of knowledge concerning the way that the democracies he pretends to defend, actually work. Look what he went on to say:

 

“The letter was to be released only if signed by no fewer than 30 of the CPC’s roughly 100 members. Because only 15 got on board, it became a dead letter. Over recent weeks other groups lobbied the CPC members. They succeeded in gathering 30 signatures and approached the chair, who approved the letter. Soon after, it was delivered to Mr. Biden and released publicly. Members who had signed the letter months ago were blindsided. One who signed in June, said that a lot has changed. She wouldn’t sign the letter today. Another signatory issued a statement saying he was glad the letter had been withdrawn because of its unfortunate timing”.

 

Watching this authentic sausage-making done by true democrats on both sides of the political spectrum, (including the Quincy Institute,) Clifford May was so shook up, he began attacking the process that should have enchanted him – he who professes to defend the democracies. In fact, May began with this: “the Quincy Institute is funded by both George Soros, a well-known leftist billionaire, and Charles Koch, a prominent billionaire on the right”.

 

This presented the shaky opportunity for the writer to segue into what he believes democracy should be about. This is what he went on saying:

 

“What they have in common is isolationism. More curiously, Quincy’s executive vice president, founder of the National Iranian American Council (NIAC), has long advocated conciliatory policies toward Iran’s rulers. No one should oppose diplomacy. But we need to be aware that Mr. Putin’s eyes are on America’s knees. If he sees them wobbling, he’ll know what to do: refuse any compromise and issue terms for surrender gussied up as a diplomatic solution. The right approach is to continue providing the ammunition that Ukrainians need to fight. At some point Putin may run out of rockets or cannon fodder and decide to cut his losses. Despots in Beijing, Tehran and Pyongyang would then think hard about invading their neighbors. That seems a price worth paying, shall we say, for peace in our time”.

 

What Clifford May is saying here, is that the democracy of his dreams can be secured only at the muzzle of a gun. But he is not finding buyers on the Left or the Right, which is good for humanity.