Friday, March 15, 2019

David French: Do as I think I say, not as I do

David French wrote an article under the title: “Partisan Hate Is Becoming a National Crisis,” and the subtitle: “Tens of millions of Americans think members of the opposing party are less than human.” It was published on March 13, 2019 in National Review Online.

The writer describes the situation in America as he sees it, and corroborates his observation by quoting an article that was published in the New York Times. He did so because the Times article had itself mentioned a study containing statistics that prove America is going through a period of “lethal mass partisanship”.

French goes on to expand on his thoughts, then reveals his central preoccupation: liberty. He put it this way: “After all, the defense of liberty in the public square can never be merely legalistic. To be effective it also has to humanize. And crucially, it also has to educate.” Well then, did David French educate his readers?

To answer that question, we need to digress for a moment, and probe into the meaning of the word “educate.” I was a teacher before I retired, and there is much that I can say, drawing on my observation of students. But I'll do something different because I know I can be more accurate. I’ll tell of the different phases through which I navigated before I came to understand how a car does function.

I must have been around three years of age when I sat on the passenger seat of the car that my father was driving. I could see his feet push on pedals; see one hand manipulate a stick, which I later learned was shifting gears, and I could see both hands steer a wheel. I surmised that I can drive this car because it will know it must move when my feet will push on its pedals. It will know where to go because I'll speak to it with my hands on the wheel. As to the stick that tells the car to relax when it buzzes loudly, I shall not worry about that because the car can buzz all it wants, and I shall not be bothered.

For perhaps another 2 or 3 years, I came to think of every piece of equipment as having the ability to understand human communication, as we tell it what to do. It was just a matter of knowing which button to push and how to manipulate a lever for the equipment to get the message. And then it happened one day that the school bus which ferried the kids that lived far away from school, broke down.

I didn't know what to make of the event, so I asked a teacher what makes a bus break down. He said that a bus has an engine which converts the energy that's in gasoline, into the power that moves the bus. It is like our body, which converts the energy in the food we eat, into the power that we need to move our arms and legs. Well, I gained a substantial level of understanding, but that didn't tell me about the nuts and bolts that made the engine function.

By that time, we lived in the Djibouti Plateau where my father's workplace and the boys' school as well as the girls' school were situated close to each other. There was no need for a car in the family till my oldest brother finished school and got a job that was far enough from home to require a car, so my father bought him one. And this was the first time that I had the opportunity to look under the hood of a car and see the engine. I asked my father how does this engine work?

He explained to me all about the workings of the internal combustion engine. Suddenly, my thinking shifted from communicating with equipment because they understand what we tell them (when pushing on buttons and pulling on levers) to the need to engineer the parts so that they can work together and produce the desired effect, such as motion. And this was a level of understanding that went much deeper than simply knowing that a car engine was converting one form of energy into another, but not knowing how.

To get back to the David French article, I ask: how deeply did he educate his readers on the need to be civil to better defend liberty in the public square? See for yourself. What follows is his contribution to that end:

“In a time of crisis, American citizens take cues from the subset of citizens who are most engaged and informed. But now, this cohort of Americans is driving the engine of division. As Yphtach Lelkes put it, 'Reflective citizens might be the subset of strong partisan identifiers most likely to fall in line with the party … The democratic dilemma may not be whether low information citizens can learn what they need to know, but whether high information citizens can set aside their partisan predispositions”.

In other words, from an article that appeared in the New York Times, Yphtach Lelkes seems to be saying, and David French seems to agree that what's wrong with America, is that people who are in public view, and thought to have the correct information, are the ones purveying the uncivil attitude plaguing society today.

This happens because those people are motivated, not by reason, but their partisan prejudices, says French. But who are these people, anyway? Well, one of them is David French himself. So we look into the article to see if he has finally learned the lesson and shed his usual fanatic partisanship. But from the way that he started and ended the article, we are left to wonder if America will ever be saved.

Here is how he began the article: “I want to begin this piece with a word of praise for Nancy Pelosi. She rejected for now, calls to impeach Donald Trump. Here were her words: 'Impeachment is so divisive to the country, I don't think we should go down that path.' Pelosi is doing something that more politicians should do when making a momentous decision”.

And here is how he ended the article: “I'm skeptical that Pelosi's current impeachment analysis represents a true shift from toxic partisanship. After all, her caucus just passed a grievous bill that limits free speech and exposes more citizens to potential social shaming and economic reprisal. But her impeachment analysis still represents the right approach”.

In other words, David French is saying that Nancy Pelosi, who is a Democrat, did the right thing by rejecting to impeach the Republican president. But French does not trust Pelosi because her caucus just passed a bill that fulfills the Democratic agenda.

What this means, is that David French will trust a Democrat only if he or she will fully and permanently convert to Republicanism.

The guy has failed to understand his own lesson. It is people like him who will doom America.