Thursday, October 10, 2019

It's the argument of Pessimism versus Optimism

Clifford D. May wrote a column in which he reviews a just published book that was written by George Will. I have not read the book, and given my current circumstances, I doubt I'll ever have the time to read a book of that size (538 pages long).

May reveals that the book is about “Western political philosophy and tradition, and the specifically American vision of the Founders.” He goes on to explain that of the 10 chapters that make-up the book, only one grapples with foreign policy, though it is packed with ideas.

What interested me about the Clifford May article––enough to prompt me to discuss it––is that I know the author to be a pessimistic individual. And yet, he apparently discovered a level of affinity in the George Will worldview that he was motivated to take up the subject. I do not believe that George Will is anywhere near Clifford May's level of pessimism, but the article's thrust has given the debate the allure of the pessimism-versus-optimism argument of a different era; a topic that has interested me for a long time.

The Clifford May article came under the title: “George Will and American Power,” and the subtitle: “How his conservative sensibility informs his approach to foreign policy.” It was published on October 8, 2019 in The Washington Times. As to the George Will book, it came under the title: “The Conservative Sensibility”.

As you might have guessed, what I want to discuss falls within the purview of the pessimism-versus-optimism argument as it relates to the current situation in the world. I must warn at the outset that my definition of those two words, might be different from anything you've seen before. In fact, I do not even use declarative sentences to define optimism or pessimism; I use examples to illustrate what I mean.

Here it is: Because no one can do anything, such as construct a monument or launch a probe into space or write a masterpiece that will enchant millions of readers, without first learning the basics that relate to the endeavor and engaging in experiments that fail repeatedly before the craft is mastered, we must accept the principle that success is built on a solid foundation of multiple failures. And so, if you want to know from where my optimism is coming, it comes from the acceptance that I must fail before I can succeed.

This being the case, do I ever become pessimistic? The answer is yes, I do. It happens when I finally realize that something I thought could be done, proves to violate a law of nature (in science or the humanities) I was not aware of. This means that the project, as I conceived it, can never be completed. However, it is easy in such cases to work on turning pessimism into optimism. That's because understanding what laws of nature cannot be violated, motivates us to work on realistic alternatives. This in turn, causes us to experience failures, learn from them, and try again till we succeed. Such is the joy of life.

Now you can see why I totally reject notions such as the one advanced by Clifford May, which goes like this: “The approach led to the League of Nations, a failed experiment as everyone knows, and the United Nations, a no less a failed experiment as everyone should know.” The pessimism expressed by these words, is deliberate and self-generated. It is based on the premise that the laws of nature are not ironclad, thus can be violated. One such law pertains to the fantastical belief that Jews are the favorite children of a God who promised to give them ownership of the planet and all its content. That simply does not compute.

Given all of that, where do I believe we're going as a species? Well, I begin with the notion that organic evolution has been in the making for more than half a billion years on this planet. During that time, nature has gone through all kinds of experiments to produce species that have survived, and species that did not. Of those that survived, some have been around unchanged for millions of years, living within the confines of a naturally produced culture we must consider to be near perfect.

In addition, nature has had a great success producing our species and giving us a brain with the power to circumvent, even override its own work. But we've had this privilege––known as Civilization––for only ten thousand years, and we find ourselves emulating socially what nature has accomplished biologically. This suggests that we may survive as a species and score successes we can't even begin to imagine at this time. Alternatively, however, we may perish by our own doing or by events we won’t be able to control.

If we do survive, and we open an entire universe for us to enjoy, the shenanigans that give us heartburn today will sound so trivial, no one will want to talk about them in the future, and no one will spend as much as a moment wondering what the disputes were that brought our species to the brink on several occasions.

Thus, if there is a lesson that we need to learn at this time, and must be factored into our foreign policy, it is that we are too small now to take actions so drastic as to set us back centuries or worse, place us on the road to annihilation.