Monday, December 23, 2013

The Day I believed in the Miracle of Christmas

When we left Ethiopia a long time ago to go to Djibouti – what was then French Somali Land – I was carrying in my system the malaria virus. I was not sure I still carried it at the time because I had caught it several years before, and being a chronic disease, it struck me at Christmas time two years in a row. This is just about how long it will stay with me, said the doctor, before the treatment that I was receiving will get rid of it.

And so, while the other children enjoyed the toys they got for Christmas, and while they ate the sweets I knew were delicious, I was confined to my bed where I heard their laughter and all the noise that playful children usually make. All this while I was made to swallow a pill called quinine that is so bitter, it is to a child an affliction as bad as malaria itself, if not worse.

To add to a child's trials, I was not old enough in the Fall of that year to follow in my brothers' footsteps and receive my First Communion. I was told I shall have to wait one more year for that to happen; one other thing they were eligible to do without me joining them. So I hoped that when Christmas comes this year, I'll be able to join them and my younger sisters as well as the other kids when they will be playing with the new toys and consuming the delicious sweets. And I will not have to swallow the bitter pill anymore.

But despite my prayers, which I did every night at the foot of my bed, that was not to be as I was again stricken with malaria on time that year. And I had to spend a few days in bed unable to enjoy the toys I was given, but forced to consume the bitter pill I learned to hate so very much. The worst part was that I could only take it with water because the nausea made it impossible for me to take anything else.

Finally, the year ended and I was feeling better. I went back to school, did well, had a good Summer and looked forward to the Fall when school will start again; when the Christian brothers and the priests will be back, and I shall, at long last, receive my First Communion and be in league with my older brothers.

The month of October came and was followed by November when the ceremony of my First Communion will be performed in a few days – this coming Sunday to be exact. But the dreaded month of December was not far away; was hovering like a dark shadow and reminding me of the time I may have to spend in bed with a bitter pill, with toys I cannot play with and sweets I cannot consume.

Saturday night came and my father handed me the alarm clock he used to wake himself up every weekday and go to work. The trouble was that when the clock went off, not only my father woke up but so did everyone else in the house. The morning of the ceremony being a Sunday, I did not want to wake up everybody so very early given that I had to be in church at least one hour before the start of mass to rehearse the performance. How to resolve this dilemma?

I found away. I prayed as usual but this time I followed the advice of a Christian brother who used to talk to us in class all the time about the Virgin Mary. He would say she is the mother of us all, and like any mother, she never says no when we ask her for something. And so, I prayed to her directly this time, rosary in hand, and asked her not to let me be sick this coming Christmas. Then, as an afterthought, I asked her to wake me up before the alarm clock rings.

And guess what. I woke up ten minutes before the alarm was set to go off. And I did not get sick that Christmas or any Christmas after that. Was it a miracle? You judge.

Merry Christmas everyone. I'll see you back here again very soon.