Wednesday, January 27, 2016

To die for a Cause is a tragic human Trait

The editors of the New York Daily News have reported on “The boy who believed in a cruel Islam,” which is the title of the piece they wrote and published on January 25, 2016. The views they express in that editorial triggered a few thoughts in my head, some of which I discuss below.

As a toddler steeped in Catholic teachings, I learned that Jesus died on the cross to redeem (racheter in French) me and all human beings because we collectively committed the original sin of disobeying God even though we were not with Adam and Eve when they ate the forbidden fruit.

As I grew older, it began to dawn on me that Jesus did not die unexpectedly or by accident. He knew that what he was doing will lead him to the Calvary. He even dared the Romans to destroy this temple (his body) because he could rebuild it in three days (his resurrection). And on the eve of his arrest and crucifixion, he told a disciple he'll betray him before dawn. So the question that began to haunt me was this: Did Jesus plan his own death because he had a fanatic love for the human race? And then, I started to become aware of what was happening in the world; and I gradually ceased to be surprised.

In the time between my toddler years and the start of the Korean War, I heard a great deal about the Catholics who were martyred – many of them willingly – during the hundred-year religious war that raged in Europe between the Catholics and the Protestants. I wondered if I would have died for the cause had I lived in that era.

Still, I was not surprised to hear that during the Japanese occupation of China, hundreds of unarmed or lightly armed Chinese peasants would storm a Japanese war vehicle knowing they will be cut by cannon fire and by machine gun bullets before they could overwhelm the vehicle. The result was that dozens died so that one or two may reach the Japanese, throw a hand grenade in the vehicle and kill its occupants. Those were the same Chinese combatants who were now fighting the Americans and their allies in Korea. Which cause were these people dying for?

I was not surprised to hear that during World War II, Japanese pilots, sailors and foot soldiers would go on suicide missions for what they thought was the debt they owed to their emperor. And I was not surprised to learn that many people – some of them under-aged – from North America volunteered to go fight in both World Wars knowing that the odds they will survive the adventure were near zero. What stories did they hear that lit up the desire to do what they did?

Beyond that, the more I studied the human condition – be that in peace time or in wars – the more I became convinced that dying willingly for a cause is a human trait that's shared by all sorts of religions and all sorts of persuasions. I concluded that an individual who is motivated enough to believe in a religious cause or a secular one, is capable of committing an act of martyrdom. Was this the case of the Masada Jews who committed suicide rather than surrender to the Romans? History is not clear about this one.

After that, a new phenomenon began to hit the news. Devout Christians in the Americas and the Philippines asked to be crucified at Easter for the love of Jesus. Did these people feel the pain, or were they sucked so deeply into a religious trance, they became numb to pain as if they were anesthetized. Would they die for the faith if asked? And then, the phenomenon of the suicide bomber appeared for the first time in Sri Lanka, and made its way to Western Asia and sub-Saharan Africa.

This is why I am not surprised to learn that a teenager who believed he sinned against God when he raised a hand by mistake, decided to cut off the hand thus prove he is still devoted to God. He turned out to be a Pakistani Muslim who says he did not feel the pain, but he could have been a Christian from the Philippine or the Americas or anywhere else.

This is why I dismiss as nonsense the assertion made by the editors of the New York Daily News that: “Death as vengeance and as a doorway to paradise is central to radical Islam.” It is more like a human trait that could affect anyone, anytime, anywhere … if not individually, then collectively such as the followers of a Jim Jones or any of the other cult leaders.