Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Changing the outer Shape not the inner Core

There is a French saying which goes this way: The more things change, the more they remain the same. And this is used as analogy to explain many of the situations we encounter in real life. One way that the saying can be rephrased to better reflect the situation I am discussing in this presentation is to say that it is easier for some things to alter their outer shape and look differently, than alter their inner core and behave differently.

This is the lesson that comes out when you analyze the Bret Stephens article: “The Palestinian Blessing” which also came under the subtitle: “Israel's enemies deliver an unwitting favor.” It was published on July 15, 2014 in the Wall Street Journal. I view the content of this article in a specific way because of what I witnessed through the years, and because of the experiences I lived through during that time. Thus, I must give examples on what I witnessed and what I experienced to make it easier for the readers to follow my reasoning.

Example one: When the rabbis were in charge of the Jewish propaganda machine decades ago, there came a time when they felt so comfortable telling the public how it should behave, they went as far as to patronize the reporters who asked them difficult questions. They did so by telling the reporters they are doing a bad job, by showing them how to ask this sort of questions, and by inviting them to ask the question again, using the approach they just told them about.

Example two: When I was writing missives in English to set the record straight with regard to things that appeared in print or were uttered in the audio-visual media (even though I knew the missives will only be circulated inside the loop of elites, and not published anywhere given that I was blacklisted) my friends in those same media would give me unsolicited advice. It was advice that related to Jewish interest only and nothing else. My friends did this even though I did not ask for advice nor did I expect any.

Example three: When I wrote a column in Arabic, and another one in English for several bilingual publications serving the Montreal and Toronto markets, people like those I had witnessed in the media and those I encountered in person, contacted my publisher and/or editor, and told them to advise me that I was doing the wrong thing. They further told them to tell me how I should write the sort of columns I was writing. Needless to say I gave them my middle finger.

What reminded me of all those incidents is something that came near the end of the Stephens article. Here it is: “It may someday be that Palestinians will wise up; that the next intifada, should it come, will be Gandhian in its methods and philosophy; that the next Palestinian leader will be in the mold of Vaclav Havel, not Fidel Castro.” This is subtle enough to appear in the column of a major newspaper, yet transparent enough to convey the intended message which is advice of a Jew instructing Arabs how to have an intifada. Yes, these characters can be comical at times.

This performance of Bret Stephens reflects the nature of the Jewish culture. It is one that is so rigid when it comes to the need for controlling their own environment and that of others; it suggests that the Jews become paranoid at the thought that someone may be controlling his or her environment without Jewish supervision. A situation like this engenders in the Jew the fear that the “other” may someday use such control to challenge or hurt him. Thus, when Jews meet someone that is adamant about opposing them on something, they will reluctantly accept the opposition, but will insist that they be in a position to tell the dissenter how to dissent. Strange but true and extremely annoying when it is not comical.

The question that poses itself now is this: What sort of logic did Stephens use to give himself this power and this privilege? Well, he blasted the whole world for opposing, even hating Israel ... those that are civilized and those that are not. And since he failed to praise anyone in the article – which he should have done if only to show some kind of balance – he left the readers with the impression that he believes the entire world is against Israel. He then did this: “If you must have a nemesis, better be a stupid one … Israel's enemies indict themselves, whether or not the rest of the world has the wit to see it.” But how can the rest of world see the indictment when the rest of the world is the indicted?

In any case, when done with all that, Stephens feels this is a good time to inform the stupid enemies of Israel that they can win by exploiting not its strength, but exploiting its weakness. He writes: “The real weakness is a certain kind of vanity that confuses stainlessness with virtue, favors moral self-regard over moral self-interest, and believes … in self-examination.” He goes on: “People, and nations, with such attitudes cannot be beaten militarily. But can easily be shamed.” In other words, he is telling Israel's enemies not to fight it with military means, boycotts, calumnies or barbaric protests but fight it by shaming it. Well, it is obvious this is another case of the Jew telling the world what to do.

Is Bret Stephens different from the Jews I witnessed in the media or those I encountered in person decades ago? To be honest, I detect no profound difference between the two. And this is because it is easier for these people to alter their outer demeanor than alter their inner core.

They need to change to be in harmony with the rest of humanity but they will never do.